Friday, October 31, 2008

The "Spirit" of the Season!

Today is HALLOWEEN! Or, All Hallows Eve, if you want to be a stickler. I didn't really get to celebrate last year because I was living in Myrtle Beach, and I had to work. This year, I guess I'm not really celebrating either, but I partook in some of the American traditions! Namely, PUMPKIN CARVING! Erin had never carved a jack-o-lantern before, so obviously I had to be the first one to do it with her. Halloween in Europe is really different than in the US. First, kids don't trick-or-treat. Its seen as tacky. There are typical costume parties, but one of the most widespread traditions is that people go to the graveyard to honor the dead.

On a less morose note, here are some videos and pictures of the extravaganza of orange!





As much as she might squeal, even my Aussie likes to squish around inside the pumpkin!






And we have a jack-o-lantern! American inspired Slovak style! It was great when it was lit up!



We weren't the only ones who were exploiting the holiday season. For those of you who follow these Grammar Killing Kitties, you'll understand the reference.

Basement cat sneaks up on its victims. Equals 90% success rate of stealing your soul.



Here are some pumpkins outside of the Dubliner Irish Pub across from my office. They are WAY more intricate that the one at my apartment, but...those people get paid.





All in all, very successful Halloween preparation and experience :) Who says you have to be home to party homestyle?

1 comment:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Look out Rachael Ray. Great video with a lovely mix of accents. I did a pumpkin as well, and it was more fun when you girls were with me. Dad sat with me cooing at the little princess trick or treators. Another fun holiday.