Saturday, February 23, 2008

Things that I ponder...

"For this is what we do. Put one foot forward and then the other. Lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more. Think. Act. Feel. Add our little consequence to the tides of good and evil that flood and drain our world. Drag our shadowed crosses into the hope of another night. Push our brave hearts into the promise of a new day. With love: the passionate search for a truth other than our own. With longing: the pure, ineffable yearning to be saved. For so long as fate keeps waiting, we live on. God help us. We live on." -Gregory David Roberts, Shantaram.


...if that is not life...i do not know what is...

3 comments:

scordell said...

In some ways, this passage sound so fatalistic - "add our little consequence", "drag our shadowed crosses", etc. Almost hopeless.

But in others, it is hopeful -"passionate search for a truth", and "yearning to be saved."

So, this is the day for quotes.

"Life is an end in itself, and the only question whether it is worth living is whether you have had enough of it." Justice Holmes.

"There are two ways of living: one may be casual and simply exist, or constructive and deliberately try to do something with life. The constructive idea implies constructiveness not only about one's own life, but about that of society and the future possibilities of humanity." Julian Huxley

In other words - There's always hope, and every event, every turn presents an opportunity to experience life. And love.

So we live on.

alancordell936 said...

so i have been reading your blog since day one and I must say that I love your writing style I thinks its the cats meow or is it the bee's knees ? I don't remember. Anyways keep it up I am proud of you times 10 gazillion, im still debating on if that is a real number or not. Enough of my b.s. I love and I can't wait to see you in May. I will be spending my birthday there so that should be fun and now I'm done, again.

Kimberly Cordell said...

Alan is as funny as Hannah. You will have to show him how much fun a European bithday is. I bet you won't get him in a chicken suit.

A favorite quote on life: " Tears and fears and feeling proud, to say 'I love you' right out loud, dreams and schemes and circus crowds, I've looked at life that way. But now old friends are acting strange, they shake their heads they say I've changed. There's something lost but something gained, in living everyday. I've looked at life from both sides now from give and take but still somehow, it's life's illusions I recall, iI really don't know life at all.