Saturday, February 2, 2008

Cocktails and Karaoke Bars

So yesterday after work I joined my friend Christine for cocktails at a place called "Hot Shot" with one of the AIESECers (from here, @ers) from Bratislava, Katerina.  We had a good time just talking about girly stuff (sometimes you just need that), and thinking about the FULL PLACEMAT of drink possibilities that were grouped by alcohol type.  I tried the Aloe Dream and the Miami Vice.  They were pretty good.  Easy to drink, and not too strong.  The place was pretty posh, and the drinks were a bit expensive, about 149 Sk or $6.61, for about 180ml, but in general, the atmosphere was ok, and the company made up for the awful service (I don't think I'll ever escape that)

After that we met the rest of the @ers at Slovak Pub, which I guess has become our fall-back spot because the food is good and the beer is cheap (I can get a pint of Saris for about $1.86...but don't worry, that doesn't encourage me to drink more, it just helps me appreciate what I'm drinking)  I was ready to go home after that.  I try not to stay out late more than 1 night a week to preserve my youthful vitality, and it was almost 12, so it was about time for me to turn in because today (Saturday) is a welcome party for the new Danish trainee.  Everyone else wanted to go to the karaoke bar on Michalska, which is close to where I work, and I had never been there, and didn't know the night bus schedule, so I was kind of stuck.  

It turned out to be ok, the place was a bit smoky, but I tried not to drag down the mood too much.  It's really funny to hear people sing songs in English.  There was a lot of Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Robbie Williams, and Madonna.  They played some Slovak pop songs, and I obviously didn't know them, but I figured it was a good opportunity to practice my Slovak pronunciations.

Enough of that nonsense.

I've been reading the book Shantaram, and it is amazing.  It brings up a lot of philosophical discussions about basic human nature and fate.  I'm glad that I'm finally reading for pleasure again (Cornell broke me of the habit, 300+ pages a week per-class of political theory can kill your desire to ever read again).  The character and I are very different, but there are similarities between our situation, and I find myself identifying with his inner struggles and daily experiences.  Being an expat has forced me to both appreciate and criticize my life in the US, and it puts me in a strange position as to my future.  I've been plagued with a burning question for almost 5 years now, and now it is an even more persistent thought: Where do I really want to be?

I suppose I will have to wait and see.

More philosophy about life to come...

3 comments:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Did the little showboat in you find enough courage to get up and sing. Don't hide your talents because they could open more doors for you.

It is funny that you feel plagued by the thought of what your future will be and where it will take you next. I still sometimes think about that. You wisely reminded me that my mission can be anywhere I live and the same holds true for you. Our quest to explore and enjoy the many cultures in the world does not stop, even if we settle in one place for a while. The value of being settled is having meaningful and supportive relationships. You know that the love and friendship I have with your dad is my greatest treasure. And our dear friends mean more to us than any material gain. Let your love be your compass.

Do they have good chocolate in Bratislava? You have said nothing about desserts! I know we are not Catholic but I am going to give up sweets for lent. Let us know what they do for Mardi Gras in Slovakia.
Love Always,
M

scordell said...

A little self examination is good for the soul. Just don't let it bog you down. One never knows when or where the next opportunity will present itself. The really good news is you're well prepared to take advantage of those opportunities when they do surface. Think about how you got to Britcham. First was Singapore, then India. The wait was at times painful, and raised some doubts about the path, but then Petra sent you the message you were waiting for. Keep your eyes open, your ears tuned, and your attitude receptive, and the next step will surely materialize.

As one female CEO recently said, never underestimate the value of networking and taking charge of your own career. Don't sit back and think someone will notice you just because you do such good work. Push (diplomatically) your point forward, pre-work an idea before a meeting, then deliver the goods. Be an active participant, and success will follow.

bjc said...

Soooo the giant won the super bowl. 17-14. Poopy. This is the link to my favorite commercial.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g0nliPWaCvA
Your bar crawls sound like fun! I can't wait to come see you so I can go with you to all of your favorite places so you better start making a list. I will probably be up early enough to talk to you tomorrow. Love Love Love!!!!