Monday, February 4, 2008

Rudolph Nose

The Rudolph Nose (another one of my own vernacular creations) occurs when you blow your nose so often, the skin becomes irritated and red, a tell tale sign that you have a cold. I haven't quite gotten to that point yet, but my nose is runny and I'm hocking up stuff that isn't pleasant. I'm certain that you all wanted to know that.




In short, I am experiencing my first health issue in Bratislava. I'm not sure how it started, but I think it has to do with involuntary smoke inhalation, and old radiator, and the cold weather. I bundle up everyday with a coat, boots, scarf, gloves and hat, and even go to bed around 10 or 10:30 on the weekdays (and not much later than that on the weekends...I like to be boring to preserve my vitality in the long run) so I don't think it has to do with exhaustion. However, I am thoroughly annoyed. Being sick is not something I am accustomed to, and I was never the type to get "colds" until college, aka: the world's #1 breeding ground for germs. I'm toughing it out with tea, high nutrient meals and sleep. I'm defnitely not the surrendering type, so I plan on beating the crap out of this thing until it decides that I am an unfavorable host. Right now I could go for some Shitaki Mushroom Soup a la Stu and a Chamomile Concoction via Kim. A blanket from Bunny and a nap with Nanners would be pretty great too. (I'm so glad I haven't lost my anecdotal creativity, Thank You Perry School for overemphasizing the importance of Literary Devices, although some of it could be attributed to Dr. Seuss)





That reminds me, I should probably reread Oh the Places You'll Go...





In other news, Sherisse, the trainee before me at the Chamber, is coming for a visit today! She is from Aberdeen, Scotland. She will be hanging out with us for awhile, and then we're heading out to the High Tatras to ski! I'm a bit nervous to ski here, because I know it will be a completely different experience. Everyone keeps saying "snow is snow", but as someone who grew up in the snow belt, I know that is NOT true. I'm excited though, and will spend lots of time on the bunny hill to warm up (at least, I hope they have one of those!).





NEWSFLASH!!! Wow. I just had a HUGE flashback to Dance Camp when I was in Drill Team. The song "Freestyler" just came on the radio. I don't know if any of my old teammates read this, but they will understand. I still remember some of the dance...weird. Definitely wouldn't be earning the coveted blue ribbon right now though.





Ok, I'm going to contemplate the meaning of life now, because there is a lack of other pressing matters to address.

2 comments:

scordell said...

A lack of other pressing matters? How could that possibly be?

Sorry you're not feeling well. Lots of folks around here are also experiencing the winter crud - persistent cough, Rudolph Nose, etc. Sorry I can't be there to make some good soup for you. Lots of rest and liquids are the universal prescription. Nice alliteration, though.

Be sure to say thanks to Sherisse for all the wonderful information she left for you. The AIESEC'ers before you certainly paved the way for success with Britcham.

Kimberly Cordell said...

My First graders love alliteration also. I had to compose one for each of their names. Get some Vicks or Vasoline for that nose. The pink tissue paper is pretty rough looking.

Does anyone call you Sherisse by mistake since it rhymes with Elise?
Have fun on the slopes-smooth esses and good edging.