Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Devotion

Human life is full of interests. We are interested in each other, hobbies, culture, the news, our jobs, gossip, and the list goes on. What is it that separates our mere interests from those things that we truly feel passionate about? What things in your life are you unwilling to give up? What elements of your happiness would you fight to the death to maintain?


What are you DEVOTED to?


I suppose the answers can be pretty obvious. Family, friends, etc. At the same time, how do you measure that devotion to those people? Is it shown through actions and words, or is it some sort of innate sense of connection that we possess?


For example, I am devoted to those people that I love and receive love from in return. However, through my actions it would seem I am more devoted to myself. I left those people that I love to pursue my other interests. I am serving myself through individual experiences. Is my decision to be outside of my usual life contrary to my promises of devotion? If so, how do I assure those people that I am devoted to them still, even when I am absent? I can tell them through words, but words can seem shallow when spoken over the phone or through a computer, because often you cannot see or touch the person you are communicating with. Do relationships suffer when we are unable to really express our devotion?


While the answers to these questions can vary greatly on circumstance, I really do believe that as people we have an innate ability to connect to those people we are devoted to even when forced to be apart from them. There is a similarity of mind that overpowers distance and time. Those who are special to me understand that when they are in distress I can feel it without communicating with them. They also know that while I may be across an ocean, my priorities still lie within their lives.


It is easy to submit to depression when you feel isolated. I think people like to feel sorry for themselves because it can incite sympathy from others, thus creating a superficial connection. What I have learned is that it is crucial to be conscious of the true bonds we have with those people we are mutually devoted to. With that understanding comes a feeling of serenity and purpose, and then you are never really alone.


7 comments:

scordell said...

Oh, my lovely girl, you are indeed growing up.

I'm glad you are feeling connected despite the distance. And I don't think your desire to pursue an international experience is self serving in the least. Sometimes we need to follow a path that diverges from the one being taken by those we love. It's not that our separation is intentional for separation's sake. Rather, it's that the building blocks of a life and career aren't always found in the same places, making separation necessary. The beauty of pursuing the divergent path is the discoveries, the experiences, the enrichment that comes with the journey. Then, when the time comes that paths are reunited, the relationship is enhanced as a result of sharing the diversity of each other's experience.

No, you're never really alone. Those you love are always thinking about you, as you are thinking about them. And we all take comfort in that knowledge.

Unknown said...

Hi, Elise: We are enjoying all of your notes and the descriptions of everything around you in Bratislava. It is difficult to go so far away, but the rewards of the new experiences and the exposure to other cultures and people are very great. Through the marvels of electronics we can all keep in touch and you know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers. That is what family is all about and we are fortunate that we can communicate so easily to reinforce the feelings we have for each other. Don't think that anyone feels you have abandoned them for your own interests, rather know that we are all very proud of you that you have accepted the challenge to grow and learn. It is not easy to go far away, but the time will pass quicker than you think. Also, the plans are in the works for all of us to descend on you and enjoy the sights that you are describing wo well. We now have Skype and we will talk soon. Huggs and kisses.
Love, Gramma and Grampa

Kimberly Cordell said...

You have some pretty wonderful men in your life. Your Daddy and you Grampa have always been a guiding force. They seak with wisdom and love.

You know I also believe there is a divine power that is with you . You will have many difficult choices to make, but as long as your motivation is to serve others, you must continue to develop your talents to do so.

So, little fish: look out for rip tides, swim with the current when necessary, float with the sea turtles, and continue to set new records.

Kimberly Cordell said...

speak

I had to write twice as the first would not post! grrrr

syd said...

you left to explore because you have a secure attachment base. its the rules of human bonding. i love you so much.

bjc said...

keep going with your adventures. we will be there soon enough to have them with you. this is an amazing life experience and you will be so much better for it. it is a big step to leave your family but just think of it like you're going to college again and soon you'll be back and we will all be there the second you step off of that plane.



ps. i'll always be your bunny

Bananerama said...

I love you.

our relationship is an interesting one. the four years between us maintain a mutual understanding of circumstances. we will always experience new things at the same time. funny how that works.

I remember you told me once that when we were younger you had a harder time relating to me because we were at such different places in life. that was true, but it only meant i had a trailblazer to follow. you also told me once that i shouldn't emulate you. i thought that was funny at the time, because you were the coolest person EVER.

now, though our lives have mirrored each other in many respects, you have led me to follow my heart. i won't always have you to experience things before me so i can find the correct way to go about them, but you will always be my mentor and best friend. and pooka too of course.

though we are isolated, we are never alon