Friday, February 15, 2008

Singles Awareness No More!

So, yesterday was Valentines Day. Usually, this is a commercial holiday that I choose not to celebrate. This year however, I had a really good one :) While I was at work I received FLOWERS from my amazing boyfriend. This was surprising, not just because I now live across the world, but also because he sent me lillies, my favorite...something I do not recall telling him. I late found out that the buying of the flowers was an ordeal that included 5 people's opinions. I'm glad they work together for the common good of my happiness. It was great because when the delivery man came to the door, I figured he just had mail for us, but then I saw the bouquet, and beamed when I saw that it was for me. Livia (my boss) said, "Aren't you going to cry?" when she saw that Matt had sent me something. I thought about it, but crying in the office isn't something I'm ready to do.



I then went to water aerobics with Livia. It was SO fun. It's a group of middle aged women who take the class at the University for Physical Education. It's amazing to see the transition that people make from professional and poised to spirited and youthful. The minute that Livia and her friends got into the water, they became chatty, giggling teenage girls. It was fantastic. The class actually required some real exertion. Trying to do an aerobic workout with the resistance of the water is refreshing and taxing on your muscles. The ladies want me to keep coming, mostly because they want to improve their English skills...but I think some of it is them enjoying my company :).




After water aerobics I met Vaida for our Valentine's date. Her boyfriend is in Lithuania, so she and I thought it would be nice to commiserate with each other. We were able to get a 2-for-1 deal at the movie theater in Aupark for "PS: I love you". I know, that movie is already out of the theaters in the US, and probably close to coming out on DVD. Hollywood runs a bit slower out here...which can work to my advantage since I haven't seen a lot of movies lately. I really liked the movie. Vaida and I cried the WHOLE TIME. It was impossible not to, and I'm not embarrassed. Seeing relationships on the screen makes you compare them to your own, and then if its a good comparison you miss them even more. Your love for someone can certainly grow in their absense, but I'm never moving away again. Period.



Today (Friday) we went to our usual bagel spot! Last time we were there I ate 2 by myself. Today, only 1, but Dominic let me have a bite of his chocolate cake. He maintains it is the best in Bratislava. I have to do some research before I can make that claim. It was tasty, though. Tonight is the house-warming party for Dominic and Maxime's apartment. I told them I would help get it ready, since they are men (thus have difficulty organizing...just kidding guys!), and because they have had so many problems trying to get things together in the way of furniture and appliance installation that I thought it would be nice to take some things off of their to-do list. They live in Petrzalka, which is kind of the hood of Bratislava, so that is another reason why I am going during the day-time, with a guy. I know, I'm smart.

5 comments:

scordell said...

The flowers are beautiful. Good job, Matt. Nice picture of you, too. That is a really big smile, by the way.

So now you've been there a whole month, and your faithful readers have learned about friends, food, accomodations, the office, the Board, downtown, the mountains, random people with unusual hair, trains and busses, and beer (mustn't forget beer). Let me tell you, this is really a lot of fun. I feel like I'm watching a travel show, and each day (almost) brings a new episode of The Expatriot in Bratislava. Too bad the writer's strike in Hollywood has settled, or you'd be tempting the producers to enlist your services.

Have fun at the party, and get those boys organized.

Unknown said...

Yeah I am mentioned in the blog. :) - ok random comment, but still :P

John Leonbruno said...

Elise,

Mary and I went to the symphony with your mom and dad last night. We sat in your dad's loge with all the rich and famous in Cleveland. It was HUGE fun!

As I have said before, You should not be working in another country, loving your job, experiencing new things everyday and having a blast. By now, you should be hating your job and complaining. Where has the new youth gone wrong?

Matthew and Lauren are still liking OSU and Wittenberg. Claire is excited about Perry's basketball winning streak into the sectionals.

As for myself. I am ready for Spring. Smoking my stinky cigars in the cold garage is not the same as my front porch.

I love reading your blog and hearing the stories. We'll try to write more often. Mary sends her love as well.

Our best, John and Mary

Kimberly Cordell said...

Livia sounds like a lot of fun- like my Aunt Carole. Does she have family in Bratislava?
I am glad you are getting exercise. I need someone to drag me out for a workout.
Thanks for letting me join your conversation with Matt. You two most likely talk more now that you are apart- a good skill to develop in a romantic relationship.
Stuart, are you listening, where are my flowers? Just kidding! Valentines day is everyday in our house. "Would you get a blanket for me honey?"

Vaida said...

Elise, even if I am not from US, I'm faithfully reading your blog. It might seem stupid, as I'm your roommate here, and we experience many things together, but I like to spend some minutes at work to distract attention from invoices and read something nice =) As you see some obvious things for Europeans so differently, and in this blog they look even more ridiculous ;D, it always makes me laugh. Or sometimes your posts make to think about something touching.. especially as we are in a very similar situation here ;)


Dear Cordell family,
Matt,
we are waiting for You to come to visit us in Bratislava!


Vaida

P.S. I feel famous in America! =)))