Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A tour of food!

Last Wednesday was my last English Lesson with my Public students (*tear*) They decided to take the grammar teacher, Mirka, and me out for dinner and drinks! I of course was not going to say no. Therefore, you get another food foto frenzy! (I know it's spelled "photo", but the triple-f action was just too difficult to resist). Here are some of the dishes that I have been introduced to recently:



My friend Jana ordered this. It was potatoes, vegetables, and a fried egg on top. It looked delicious, but I didn't ask her for a bite. She tried Hoegaarden for the first time that day. She liked it!



This is what is called a "Thieves Pocket", and it is one of the specialties made at Bastion Pub. Mirka ordered this one. It is like a pirohy, but only folded over rather than wrapped. It had LOTS of good stuff in there. She shared with me :).



Now THIS is what I got to eat!!! RIBS BABY! I was a little bit nervous, because the last time our group ordered ribs at a restaurant, it was not too pleasant (aka: charred with minimal meat, and no sauce) These were actually pretty good! Very tender, and the sauce, though minimal, was a nice honey glaze. I ate all of them...I couldn't help myself! I did share with Mirka and Peter though, because I could tell they were interested.

This next one is a house-made pita (that the chef gave to us on the house!) with 2 different sauces. One was a "harissa", or spicy bell pepper, and the other was a "picadillo", or a mixed veggie salsa. Both were delicious. So delicious, that I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the food! My Swedish friend Anki and I decided to go out to dinner before the Sweden-Greece game yesterday. We found this great tapas restaurant called Rambla on Michalska with outdoor seating. We had proscuitto with melon, spicy shrimp skewers, roasted potatos with a spicy tomato sauce, and spinach with raisins and pine nuts. Very satisfying.




That ends our food foto frenzy for today. More to come!

3 comments:

Kimberly Cordell said...

GASTONOMIC! I wonder if your right about BBQ being an Americanized specialty. Luckily in our "mixed salad" culture we have the opportunity to enjoy many dishes, but none like the ones in your food fotos. Let's find a cookbook.

Kimberly Cordell said...

I think more people would comment if they did not have to grapple with the crazy blog word verification: when the wv is together it is hard to tell which is first, and then one looses the enty if they get it wrong. I amn doing better with it now.

syd said...

in the first photo the person's elbows look a little bit like nakie boobs. i got confused.