Thursday, June 19, 2008

23 years, no end in sight.

June 18, 1985...the day I was brought into this world (after how many hours of labor mom?)

I have been very lucky to have a birthday in the summer. This means that my day of celebration usually corresponds with perfect weather and travelling. For example:

#13: Obscure town, France
#16: Paris, France
#18: San Gimignano, Italy
#20: London, England
#21: Washington, DC
#22: Myrtle Beach, SC
#23: Bratislava, Slovakia

This year's birthday was really fantastic. Not only did I get messages from like 50 people through facebook, I also received some calls, Skypes, and emails :). I had a great lunch with two of my friends while sitting in the sunshine, and then met a group of people after work to celebrate at a place called Bar 17's in the city center. Sometimes it can be difficult to celebrate in a foreign land because you are somewhat detached from life as you knew it, but my friends here proved that I have a real family here is Bratislava. The group started out with 5 of us crowded around one table, then progressively became bigger and bigger until we had scared off any other potential customers and procured another 4 tables. I felt special :). They also bought me presents, which I of course didn't expect, because I barely told anyone it was my birthday! I am a low maintenance person when it comes to that sort of stuff, and didn't want them to go through any trouble. I received some mango lip balm, flowers, an etched wooden heart with Devin Castle, and.....



A DORA THE EXPLORER BALLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So appropriate :). Bienvenido a Bratislava!! I mean, let's get serious for a second, I don't speak Spanish (yo quiero les hottos boyos?...mui guapo?) but Dora experiences something new everyday with her best friend Boots. I kind of do that too, minus the monkey and plus some amazing international friends. The card almost made me cry.

After taking over the patio seating in the middle of Hviezdoslavovo námestie (try pronouncing it, I dare you) we decided to go see the Sex & the City Movie, because the theater is cheaper on Wednesdays. When we got there to buy the tickets, they were handing out whitening toothpaste! I guess it was some sort of promo? It was funny though, because I had just finished explaining to some of the group why my teeth reflect light when I smile. (yes, they really asked...I have also been asked if they are fake) So, I guess everyone won yesterday! Entertainment, and dental hygeine! The movie was good...interesting...and LONG. We were in the theater from 9:30 until 12:15, meaning that I completely missed any bus that I could have taken back to Vlčie hrdlo. Oh well, I had plenty of Slovak friends around who were nice enough to call a cab for me :) (its cheaper if you call them, otherwise they charge the living daylights out of you) That is actually how I got my new "nickname". The last time I tried to call a cab, the woman kept yelling "MENO! MENO!", meaning she wanted the name of the person for the cab. I kept repeating my first and last name, but I guess she didn't believe that was someone's actual name...or something. Here is Slovakia, people's names are shortened into a cute form, sort of like how Elise goes to Lisie in the States. Here, they substitute in a "K"...so Katerina becomes Katka. So, to avoid any confusion as to whether my name was genuine, my new pseudonym is Eliška (pronounced Eeleeshka). I like it. Obviously not as much as I love "Punkie Pie", "Lisie Cakes", etc as bestowed on me by my parents, but it is regionally acceptable.

I made it home only to realize that I hadn't prepared anything for my English class the next day, which starts at 7:30am, meaning I have to leave my place at 6:45 or so to catch the bus. YIKES.

I came up with a plan in the shower the next morning (today). I knew that I had to bring in some sort of treat for them as a post bday celebration, and then I also brought in the book I was reading, A Year in the Merde, and copied the part where he goes out to the country to look at un petit maison pour les weekends. It's fun for them to read something that is a little less than official, and a bit more adult friendly. I know they are mastering the language when they laugh before I laugh at the jokes :).

So now, it is back to work! Tonight, Anki and I are going to the Swedish Chamber of Commerce's Midsummer Party, so that should prove to be an interesting post for tomorrow!

Love to all of you who sent me warm Birthday wishes yesterday. It means the world to me that you remember, and take the time out of your busy lives to share a special occassion with me.

1 comment:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Bienvenidos Eliska! Another fun birthday- hooray! Where is Obscure France? After thinking about it, we may have been in Warrenton, Virginia for a graduation and then Cahor, France for the 4th of July. Eight hours of labor; worth every minute. Almost a Father's Day present, but you insisted on being 11 days late. Seven pounds one ounce of joy and smiles. Best baby picture is you with big eyes of wonder when grandpa was holding you. You were low maintenance then but you made up for it when you were sixteen. We will see you soon for some more celebrating!