Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Little Hungary"

This past weekend I went to a town called Dunajska Streda, which is about 1 hour south of Bratislava. I call it "Little Hungary" because that is exactly what it is...everyone there is Hungarian. My friend Peter Hajdu (Peti) actually grew up in this town, and he was the one who suggested that we all go for one weekend. There were around 11 of us who made the trek on Saturday afternoon, to celebrate a whole score of events including the EuroCup, Peti's and my birthday, and Rob's departure. The weather was beautiful, and we planned to go to a Thermal spa while in the city, so the whole thing was perfect. I was really jonesing for some sunlight, and made sure to keep the SPF 15 on at all times to prevent some serious discomfort.

Here is us on the bus! There was no airconditioning, but were able to stand it with the windows open until it was our turn to get off. The next hardest part was walking all the way to the Spa, which took about 20 minutes or so. Luckily we had Peti there to lead us. We like to call him Jesus, because of his beard, so I joked that the Shepard was leading the flock to paradise.



Here we are in our cabin! We were surprised by Peti's family who made us a RIDICULOUS amount of food. This includes Cherry soup, pastries, cakes, fresh cherries, goulash, chicken, and Lángos (flatbread...SO DELISH). You can see some of the food below....it will make your mouth water.









This is the inside of our cabin where we stayed. It had 4 bedrooms with bathrooms inside, so that was really convenient in terms of people needed to take showers. The showers were funny. If you have ever lived on a boat of some sort, you know what I am talking about. The shower head is attached by a tube to the faucet, and then you just have to flip the switch according to whether you want to wash your hands or your hair.



The lake that was right outside of the cabin. The management advised us not to swim in it, but it just looked so inviting! I didn't do it personally, but some of my friends did. I didn't hear any complaints about leeches or gastric trouble.



Peti and Tommaso!


Sexy Nadja :) My weekend roomie. She brought her sleeping eye cover to the pool with her...im sure that would have made for a fabulous tan line :)


Turecky Muz!!! BESIKTAS!!!!!! He was on a high all weekend because of how amazing his Turkish football team has played in the EuroCup 2008. Well, at least they have been winning ;) However, the whole time they have only lead the series for a total of 9 minutes or something...



The whole weekend was incredible. I got to break in my Dora the Explorer ball!!! Each pool was a different temperature, and one of them had jets and spouts that massaged you. I got a little bit of color :) It felt good to be in the water again, just playing around. I even got thrown in! It took 4 of the guys to do it, but they eventually succeeded. On Saturday night we watched the Holland-Russia game and Peti's friends came to meet us, which doubled the size of our group. After the game we started a bonfire close to our cabin, and brought out the guitar to sing some songs. At around 2am, i decided i was too tired to keep my eyes open anymore, so i turned in. I guess i missed a naked swim. Not too upset about that ;).

The next day we went back to the pool! It was so incredible. Unfortunately, I had to leave at around 2...which will be the subject of my next post :)

3 comments:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Do you think you would be havingthis much fun if you were in the States?

scordell said...

A weekend retreat. Very nice. Your roving band of Partyslava mates is quite a group. You all descend on an area and make an impression, I'm sure. And the food - I hope you thanked Peti's family profusely.

I like the spa idea. Can't wait to experience one and "take the cure."

syd said...

im salivating.