Monday, June 2, 2008

High Society (but without the Gin)

If you have any bartending experience, you know that a High Society is generally made of the following components:

1 part Gin (typically Beefeater)
1/2 oz. Peach Liqueur
1 part Campari
2 parts Grapefruit Juice

If you do High Society in Slovakia (aka, a posh event) here is what it looks like:

1 part Scotsman
1 part Ambassador
2 parts thick accents
1 part handcrafted bar
5 parts leather couches
1 part Kilt
Free Alcohol to taste





I was invited to the Grand Opening of Whisky Bar 44, a very masculine, but elegant bar near Old Town. The owner, who is now a member of the BCC SR, is Stiubhard Kerr-Liddell (pronounced Stuart). He is a jovial guy, who I have never seen out of his traditional Scottish garb. On the day of the opening, he became a grandfather :). I actually was able to have a nice conversation with him, where he recommended certain types of Whiskey for me to try, including Bruichladdich. I am excited to take people there who would like to experience the refined art of savoring a well made single malt, or a respectable blend. They also have Zlatý bažant Xtra Cold, a beer that has an iced tap. Very interesting, as I'd never seen a frozen tap before!

All in all, a great event to see some of our members in a relaxed atmosphere. I was able to sneak in a couple of my friends, so I wasn't too awkward. I still hesitate a little when rubbing elbows with all of these big time CEO's, but I think I made an impression on a couple of them (in a good way!) and that should prove fruitful in the future.

2 comments:

Kimberly Cordell said...

It's 5:00 there when it is 11:00 here, we now start cocktails early to salute you and all the fun you are having.

Bananerama said...

friends as in Dom and frenchie? tell them we say hello.

that does not look like stuart..