Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Window to the Future

So as all of you know, my boyfriend (of almost 14 months...holy halušky!) came to visit me. Here are some pictures from our travels!









HC Slovan Game!

Good cheer to know: Me Sme Slovan, A Me Sme Tu Doma! (Slovan is my team, and this is our house...roughly translated)







Picnic in the Presidential Gardens!





The following pictures are from our trip to Prague. Funny story? When we bought our tickets for the Metro and headed down the escalator, I was heading towards our line when a guy sort of walked in front of me, speaking Czech, and had something in his hand. In being used to people asking you to buy things around public transport areas, I just said "Nie Dakujeme!" (even though that is Slovak...I don't know much Czech)...only to realize that he was actually a Ticket Inspector! I laughed, apologized, and then gave him my ticket.

The view from our hostel!





FOOOOOD!





Prague at night. So lovely.



We went to the Zoo! In the rain! It actually worked in our favor though, because many of the animals were therefore inside. We even got to see some feeding times!









U Fleku! Some of the best beer ever...and it just keeps on coming!




Club called Nu Spirit...full of hippies and looks like an old airplane hangar. Tres fun!



Erin and Jacub (from Norway!)



Wait...Matt dances?



T-com Beach





Matt is obviously not used to having to hustle across the street. I waited for him though :).



Devin Castle from the Twin City Liner boat that we took to Vienna!







Mozart. Duh.



Obviously we can't go anywhere without visiting some sort of animal exhibit. Here are some pictures from the Aqua Terra Vienna, or House of the Sea, which is in the Mariahlifer district!











How very European of them.



These Tamarinds were EVERYWHERE because they were able to roam freely within their exhibit. Matt and I almost witnessed one of them taking the finger of a 10 year old. The parents at the Aquarium couldn't be bothered to actually watch their kids and enforce appropriate behavior.



Not as big as our guys at Alligator Adventure, but still a good effort. The problem? In the promo materials they said he was a crocodile. Not true. You can tell by the shape of the snout and the way the teeth are either inside or outside of the mouth. Definitely a 'gator.



A blue lobster!!!! I wonder if that affects the taste....?









Our hotel in Vienna was so close to the Museumquartier that we couldn't help but to visit at least one of them. We decided to go to MUMOK, or the Museum of Modern Art Ludwig Foundation Vienna. The main exhibition being shown was called "Bad Painting, Good Art", so you can imagine what sort of things we saw. What the artists wanted to do was take various painting techniques and use many of them in one piece, or do execute the technique poorly or in an exaggerated way. Hence, not a classically masterful painting, but a great piece of art.



This was one of Matt's favorite pieces.



This was one of my favorite pieces. I just loved the images you found and the way it was developed. The deep and earthy colors helped to fuse the chaotic, or seemingly conflicting motifs.



Here is the texture of the piece up close.




Artsy, I know. I wanted to follow in the trend of things we had seen in MUMOK.



Had to come back to the elephant picture!!! I know some of you remember that from when I went to Vienna for the first time. this little guy hangs out in front of Schönbrunn, and is never lonely. Matt and I had to pose with him of course. It was a bit more practical for him to actually "ride" the elephant because he is taller and therefore able to actually launch himself up and over onto its back. Me? I opted for the trunk approach.






We rented City Bikes! The first hour is free, so why not? It was an easy way to get from one side of the city to the other, and there are designated bike paths so you don't have to worry about running over pedestrians (unless that is your type of thing). It took me awhile to get used to the bike because I haven't ridden one in ages. The saying is true though...you never truly forget how.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the zoo pics! we used to have cotton top tamarins running around free too, but they stopped that years ago. I don't know if its because some kid lost a finger. and good call on the croc/gator issue. you're right, its all about that number 4 tooth on the top whether its in or out - but, they're are a couple exceptions ;-)

Kimberly Cordell said...

Ah, romance!