Thursday, September 18, 2008

Through the Wilderness

Remember when I said I wanted some more nature and action in my life? Well, all I had to do was go to the mountains (High Tatras) in Eastern Slovakia, also known as Slovensky Raj! (Slovak Paradise). Erin, Nadja, Anki, Pernille and I piled into the car and decided to take a quick weekend trip. The drive only takes about 4 hours, so its just like my drive going back and forth to Cornell from Ohio!

I could not have asked for a better trip. We sang songs, created the Eagle Squadron, got dirty, got wet, moved furniture, met some great people, and ultimately exhausted ourselves. It was great!

Here is me and the "supplies" I bought for everyone! If you know me, you know that includes personalized trail mix bags! Erin and I came up with labels for everyone as well. For example: "Perfectly Pretty Pernille" and "Notoriously Naughty Nadja". You can imagine the giggling that went into deciding those. Doing quadruple E was difficult (Erin and Elise...hmmm) but we managed.



When we got there we decided to get something to eat before making our first trek. There was a restaurant right next to the check in station, so it seemed convenient. The food was SO GOOD. I had this great "Food in a Pouch" combo with sour milk. The decor of the place was the best part. Here is a shot of me becoming one with my surroundings.



They do things differently in Denmark.



Figuring out our route for the day. Lots of chances to get lost! WOO!



The first of many obstacles we faced. They get worse. Much. Much. Worse.



Proof you say? Take a look at these 3 pictures! There were times that I was literally having intimate moments with the rock face.







I lead the stretching after the first day :) It is very important to keep your muscles warm and flexible after a tough workout!



Oh goodness. As masochists, we went back for more!



We made it all the way up the hill! HOLY FRIJOLES NEGROS! (not many pictures were taken due to the sheer DANGER of taking out your camera)


Erin and her waterproof shoes...and the river that POISONED Erin, Pernille and me for almost 3 days!



After a good meal at the top, we obviously needed an ice cream break after we made it all the way back down again. Down was almost as difficult as the up because its never a straight route. There are HILLS and ROOTS and RIVERS in your way. Hell of a route to take to school...think of the stories you could tell your kids!

3 comments:

scordell said...

That looks like a very exciting trip, and some really cool hiking trails. Reminds me of summer camp in the White Mountains of New Hampshire when I was in high school.

We'd go out for 3 and 4 day hikes in the mountains, taking parts of the Appalachian Trail as well as others, staying overnight in platform tents or in mountain huts, and marvelling at the scenery and the tourists.

Sorry about the water and subsequent intestinal discomfort. Got to be careful, you know. There are little beasties everywhere, and some of them are not nice!

Thanks for the pictures. The four of you make a great group. BTW, was that vodka in the first picture?

Kimberly Cordell said...

And don't forget the Allegheny Forest. Finger slashing, rain, lean too, sleeping with creepy crawlies, instant mashed potatoes, "you want me to pee where?", cold sore, 30 pound backpack, oh so sexy curly locks to follow in the ferns.

Vaida said...

Hey Elise!

YOU MADE IT TO THE SLOVENSKY RAJ??? God, I'm sooo jealous! And you girls are an amazing team ;) Very happy to see you had some good adventures!

Enjoy the rest of the days ;)

Love you!