Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Turicke Muž

This past weekend was a 4 day holiday for Slovak's, so my friends Sarp and Jacub and I decided to take advantage of this (and the low SkyEurope air ticket prices) to go to Turkey! Sarp is from the Beşiktaş region of Istanbul, so he was our guide for the trip. Our flight got into Istanbul at 2:00am Saturday morning. I'm still suffering from sleep debt, but I wouldn't trade that experience for anything! Plus, now I can say I've been to Asia because the city is split into two continental sides by the Bosphorus river!

This is one of Sarp's friends who was nice enough to pick us up from the airport, which is about 60km away from the center of the city. Oops. I got my first real life experience with Turkish driving with him. I stopped keeping track of the near death instances because it was making me anxious.



We were fortunate enough to be in Turkey during their national Victory, or Independence celebration, so there were Turkish flags everywhere, and pictures of their first President, Atatürk



This is Sarp's "Vatican City", better known as the Beşiktaş Jymnasium Klub Futbol Stadium. You'll see pictures of the inside later on in this post



On Saturday (rather, later on Saturday) we did some sightseeing! Here is the entrance to Dolmabahçe Palace, where many of the Sultans lived.













What Turkish security guards do when they are bored







We had to wear special "shower cap" looking baggies over our shoes because everything in the Palace was the original decoration



Atatürk, the first Turkish President. He is also on all of their money.



This is the bed where Mustafa Kemal Atatürk died. He suffered from cirrhosis of the liver, so when Sarp and his friends are going out for a heavy night of drinking, they say they are trying to be more like their legendary leader



This is the bed where the young princes underwent circumcision. Looks pretty comfortable for post-op recuperation



This is a yogurt, water and salt drink called Ayran. It is very refreshing on a hot day :)



This is where I had my first Turkish Döner Kebap!




We also went to Hagia Sophia, literally "Holy Wisdom". All 3 major single deity religions are able to worship here.







This is the weeping column. It is a tradition to put your thumb into the hole here and try to rotate your hand 360˚, which would signify that your soul is free from sin. It is also said that if you make a wish, turn your thumb in the whole, and it comes out damp, your wish will come true. Reminiscent of Roman Holiday if you ask me.







The outside of Hagia Sophia



Sultanahmet Mosque



On the inside!



I wasn't allowed past that point 1. Because I'm not Muslim and 2. Because I am female.





I liked this phrase because it sounded incredibly familiar. Shows that while our religions may be very different, they are also very much the same.



Turkish people are obsessed with corn! They had these stands everywhere, and then also mobile vendors sold corn on the cob that had been roasted



On our way to the Sultanahmet Mosque (also known as the Blue Mosque)



The Great Bazaar!





The "Jeton"s for riding public transport



I didn't mean for the picture to be blurry, but I think the overall effect is interesting :)



We got to hang out with some of Sarp's friends out on the river. Of course, they are all Beşiktaş supporters. They brought a clarinet and a drum to aid in their singing.



The main beer in the city is Efes, and its a Pilsner.



Everywhere we went, Sarp knew someone. This meant we got lots of free stuff! Here is a mussel stuffed with rice and drizzled with lemon juice. DELISH!



Taksim (another of the Istanbul districts) at night





Obviously we were having an amazing time.



The Naval Beach!





Turkish Delight! (I bought some, so soon I will be able to complete that phrase with "On a moonlit night")







Turkish people love their Nargile (water pipe) and Backgammon. I beat both of the boys! It wasn't exactly fair though, because they both helped me with strategy...and I kept getting double 6's.



View from the ferry when switching continents.



We were so lucky to be able to attend a football game! We were in the middle of the most passionate Beşiktaş supporters, and they NEVER stopped chanting! I knew some of them because Sarp had taught me already. (for example, Beşiktaş şim ole!) The energy in the stadium was amazing, and the team won 2-0!



Sarp and his brother Mert







I thought these cigarette labels in the airport Duty Free were hilarious. Such a direct approach to getting people to quit, or just to feel bad about themselves.

2 comments:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Such wonderment! I am glad you have had another adventurous experience. Some of your photos are colorful and creative and would make nice enlargements. Turkey has an interesting religous history that you captured, and you are right about the similarities. I have shown several people Sarp's demonstration of open palms with fingers entwined that reads,"AllA".

What are you learning from your excursions? Sarp must have given an interesting perspective Muslim life. You are seeing many things that are very different from anything in America.

Sarp Kayalar said...

Hey Elise,
The pictures and your comments are wonderful. Thanks a lot for visiting me and my lovely town Besiktas:)
I hope you had unforgettable memories.

:)

Sarp