Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back to Earth...

I was doing so well during the month of August! At least, until Matt James stepped off that plane in Vienna. Now, I will have to bombard you with a load of posts. Hope you're all ok with that! (not like you have a choice...this is my blog, and in the words of my boyfriend, "I do what I want!")

As a general statement however, I have been in Slovakia for a little over 7 months now, and I can't believe it is almost over. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was complaining that the shower in the dormitory was deteriorating on my head as I lathered my hair? That people were stealing my bryndze out of the fridge? Now, I have a proper kitchen with a gas stove and a roommate who loves to experiment with food? Plus, I only have 4 months to go! I know there are some people who are going to be very excited about that. Of course, I am included in that group :).



Stay tuned for the continuation of the saga that is my life!

2 comments:

scordell said...

It's been a whirlwind seven months, to be sure. Several new countries/cities, multiple new food and beverage discoveries, dozens of new friends, and three waves of visitors. All the while, making the transition from college student to working woman.

I remember what Livia said to you in her welcoming e-mail (January 4, 2008):
"I can imagine that you are a little bit scared to leave your home for 1 year, but at the end of this year you will be very sad to leave Slovakia instead:-))) You are my 8th international trainee and I can guarantee you that all of them spend a wonderful year in Slovakia , met a lot of fantastic young people, gained unforgetable memories and come back to Slovakia again."

I think that will indeed be the case. You survived the early issues, such as deteriorating infrastructure, inconsiderate dorm rats, public transit police, paperwork bureaucracy, and (more recently) lack of hot water (!). But with each experience, your accultutration has progressed. Now you are in a position to finish with a flourish. We will be excited to have you home, but you and your "adopted home" will be sad when you go.

Kimberly Cordell said...

Start your engines for the next job hunt!