Sunday, April 6, 2008

Slovan!!!!

On Monday night, 4 boys and I headed to Samsung Arena to witness HC Slovan take on Kosice in the Slovak Ice Hockey Championship. It was an AMAZING experience.

Though I had always been interested, I really got into ice-hockey in college. Cornell University has consistently had one of the best programs in the US for the sport, and are able to recruit people from all around the world (but arguably most importantly from Canada, ha.)

The energy in the stadium was unreal. It was really easy to get sucked into the excitement. Many of the cheers had the same musical rhythm as those used in the States. (Nah nah nah nah, Bratislava, hey hey hey, SLOVAN!) They also have cheerleaders. I don't quite remember any cheerleaders at the former Cleveland Lumberjacks games I went to, but I was too enthralled with people getting checked in front of my face to really pay attention.

The game was sensational. Slovan won 4-1, which is such a ridiculous score for a hockey game. The crowd went wild every time Slovan scored, throwing long streamers onto the ice, beating their drums, and chanting with the force of an army. I love the fact that sports are the same in every country. You don't need to know the language in order to participate in the support of a team. The rules are the same, so its easy to follow.


One of the funniest parts of the whole thing: not only did the players have amazing helmet-hair, they also had amazingly substantial beards. I'm talking severe mountain-man-never-bought-a-razor beards. I couldn't tell if any were missing teeth though.

2 comments:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Who would have known that the Cordell girls would be such sports fanatics. I am wondering if all these exciting events are spoiling you Elise. Keep having fun while your young. Well, okay I am still having fun too- I guess there is no age limit.

scordell said...

Sadly, Cornell didn't make it past the ECAC tournament this year, but the Big Red will be back!

Watched some of the Frozen Four (finals of the NCAA Hockey Tournament) last evening. Boston College was man-handling North Dakota. Next up was Notre Dame v. Michigan (which is ranked No. 1). Hope they don't get fog on the ice with the warm weather we are having.

No, there is no age limit for fun. Only an attitude limit. Which is self-imposed.