Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'm gonna live forever...


All of last week I had been talking to my friend Jana about going to a film festival that was going on here in Bratislava that featured films from all over the world. She told me that she would look into finding a schedule so that I could see which movies had subtitles, or if any were in English. I told her that I would probably want to go on Thursday since I didn't have anything going on.

She called me on Wednesday to ask if I still want to go. I asked her what she found out about the movies being shown, and lo and behold, she tells me that one of the directors being featured is Alan Parker, the same guy who did FAME. This is incredibly coincidental since my youngest sister Hannah was in the middle of starring in that very same show as Iris. (the movie is a bit different from the musical, but its the same idea). Obviously, I had to go. I knew I would regret it if I didn't. It was my way of supporting Nannie Bannie even though I couldn't really be there.

The show was fantastic. There weren't as many people there as I expected, but we got to sit in the special section designated for the press since Jana works for a newspaper called SME. The movie is pretty captivating musically, and I found myself dancing in my seat! Watching the show made me really miss those years that I performed in dance, music, and singing...even sports. Being on stage takes you out of your body, and transforms you into something so beautiful. You're an entertainer, and for better or worse, you captivate people's attention. There aren't many better feelings than that.

2 comments:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Hannah was indeed captivating this weekend. I do hope all my children will sing and dance into eternity. It is a joyous feeling for all who watch you and are swept away by the spirit of happiness and freedom. No one can ever take away the song in your heart.

scordell said...

I agree - Hannah was fabulous as Iris at the Syracuse University production of Fame last weekend. The music was peppy, performed by a great band, and the dancers were wonderful. Hannah "on pointe" is a delight to see, as was her partner.

Film festivals, dinner parties, hockey games, weekends in historic cities - how do you find the time?