Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Testing my Patience

So, today started out pretty poorly. I was woken up before my alarm, my Tide-to-Go stick broke, the weather is a nasty grey, the bus driver was a maniac causing all of the passengers to bump into each other multiple times, I almost got run over by a car when I was walking in a pedestrian zone, the power was out in my building, my mango wasn't fully ripe but had started to rot on one side, my bread had gone bad, I cut myself on the boxes that I was unloading that were full of litres of bottled water, and I bumped my head on the angled ceiling.

I know. That's what I said.

However, as I was sitting stuffing issues of Bridges with inserts for a cleaning company (because that is the only thing you can do here when the power isn't working) I all of a sudden heard the awakening of the computer. Hallelujah.

Maybe the rest of the day will be better. I'm teaching tonight for my public group, so that should be good. Today, we're talking about "The unknown", so UFO's and stuff. I may print out some articles about Area 51 or something.

Yesterday was a much better day. Aside from having a quiet and productive day at work (Livia is in London until tomorrow for a Chamber conference), something AMAZING happened at the pool.

THEY DESIGNATED A SPECIAL LANE FOR FAST LAP SWIMMERS!!!!!

I was floored.

When I walked into the pool area I saw that there was a sign on the starting block of one of the lanes, and not wanting to cause any issues, I walked over to 2 guys who looked like lifeguards, or at least people who worked somewhere in the building, and asked them what the sign meant. "Uh, it mean...Fast Swim Only". A HUGE smile immediately appeared on my face and I said "Thank you so much! Thank you!" and proceeded to get one of the easiest workouts in since I came to Slovakia. There were people around me doing flip-turns! A revelation! I guess they finally got the idea after I had accidentally maimed so many people when I had to swim around and over them (usually by accident, of course). Woo! I had less energy than usual, but I still got in around 2000 meters. The pool is long-course, so it takes a bit more effort to do the same distance. Im really getting used to it though, and I feel stronger every time I go. I feel like my stroke is a bit ugly right now though, so I need some serious technique work. I'm going to try and go twice a week instead of just once, which will have more of an impact on how quickly I get in shape. When the weather improves, I'll start running as well, and then I'll be around 2/3 prepared for that triathalon I want to do someday :)

Other than that, I am SO excited to come back to the states in May for my cousin Jeff's wedding. My plane gets into DC on the 13th at around 2:40pm. It's going to be great, and please be patient with me, because I probably will have lost a lot of my social understanding. Right now the countdown is at 68 days. Go, baby, go!

3 comments:

scordell said...

You know, some days just don't work out. As an example, I'm in Washington DC today, moving from one office to the other of Ohio senators and representatives, informing them of the latest issues regarding organized philanthropy. It was a beautiful, sunny day in the nation's capitol.

Unfortunately, there was an ice storm in Cleveland this morning, so weather delays in the airline schedules have the whole east coast in a state of flux. My flight home, out of Baltimore, was scheduled to leave at 6:40 pm, getting me back home at a reasonable hour. No such luck. Earlier today, they rescheduled the flight to leave at 8:00 instead. I could live with that.

But will it happen? Nope. We have now learned the aircraft coming to Baltimore to take us home has returned to its gate for mechanical issues, and they are switching "equipment." That means everyone, and all their bags, gets off the plane and gets on a new one. Now it looks like I'll get home sometime tomorrow morning.

But that's what happens sometimes. Forces beyond our control (weather, electric companies, delivery men, crazy drivers) impact us and our well ordered plans for the day. You know what? The sun will rise tomorrow, and we'll all just get on with life.

What's nice, though, is to be presented with happy surprises, such as finding a fast lane at the pool, and revel in those times when something goes better than expected.

I hope the rest of your day offered you at least one of those opportunities.

Unknown said...

EuroSupes, i hope u don't mind, but i'm gonna steal some of Papa C's advice ... much appreciated :0)

Kimberly Cordell said...

"Beware the Ides of March." This may sound like the complaint competition for the last brownie in the movie "Notting Hill", but here goes: I boke a tooth, my watch stopped and the jeweler could not fix it, my broken strand of pearls will cost more to restring than the original price, I found a crack in our picture window that grew a foot when I touched it, and i broke the zipper in my favorite pants and cannot find any new ones to fit my matronly body. (that was all in one day) Then the dentist said I also chipped another tooth and I would have to come back for repair (do chipped fingernails even count?) Also I lost a whole line of the song I was performing in front of 99 people when Daddy got me laughing.
On the bright side; everything is fixable. We just got a new bed with a pillow top half way to the ceiling, and Pappa C bought me a day of pampering at the Spa.
So do I win?- I think so, but the really hard days are when you can't be with the one you love. A prayer for good company for those of you who are lonely like I was on our "Snow Day".
Momma C
S