Friday, May 2, 2008

Sharing is Caring

I had been talking to my German friend Dieter about my second job as a conversational English teacher, and he mentioned wanting to improve his language skills.  Instead of paying ridiculous amounts of money, I told him he could practice by writing me emails and things.  We then got into the discussion of our culinary adventures in Bratislava, and how we like to cook for our significant others.  I suggested that we could go to some restaurants around the city to sample their menus for when our parents, friends, etc come to visit.  That way, he could practice his English, and we both could enjoy the food that Bratislava has to offer.  

Since payday won't be for another week or so, I don't really have the finances to go to Fusion in the Crowne Plaza, so I offered the possibility of cooking together with Justina and Vaida.  He lives in the city centre by himself and has a fully equipped kitchen.  SHARE THE WEALTH.  As the pictures will illustrate, he liked the idea.


We cooked Salmon steaks with a cream sauce, rice, and fruit salad!  Delicious and nutritious!  Finding good fish in a landlocked country can be an issue, so we were excited about getting fresh steaks at the market.
I was in charge of the salad.  It had apples, oranges and bananas with just a sprinkling of sugar.  

Master Chef!

Our dinner table!

Juste with the vino.  We chose a Riesling from Nitra, a city about 1 hour from Bratislava.  It was a good compliment to the cream sauce.  

Apart from the good food and company, his apartment is amazing!  It has 2 terraces (1 upstairs and 1 outside of the bedroom upstairs)!  Very clean (aka, very German), wooden floors, tasteful window treatments, and a really neat wardrobe.  I would love to live in a place like that.  It would take more than my 12,000 Sk/month though. 

1 comment:

Kimberly Cordell said...

Cooking with friends will always be our favorite past time. Discovering new dishes and great conversation during an intimate dinner is the essence of living. It will be difficult to forget these special times with new friends exploring the wonders of the world with you. My tummy gurgles when you show pictures of your food. I look forward to being invited to dinner at your house.